John I Dent Cup wrap - Round 10

· John I Dent Cup
by Brumbies Media

The 2020 John I Dent Cup finals bracket is set after the last round of the regular season saw the Eagles sneak into fourth place. 

Royals 0 def by Gungahlin 62  


A boost from Brumbies players helps the Gungahlin Eagles dominate the Canberra Royals 60-0 at Phillip Oval in the final round of the JIDC.

The Royals came out the gate early as a passing display over the Eagles defence had Will Burden over the line, but the Eagles held it up and denied the early try.

Eagles found themselves at the Royals line with multiple opportunities to score, Mack Hansen would find a hole and put it down for the try starting to build momentum.

Tom Haddad had a tremendous play straight afterwards, catching the ball and breaking through the defence which opened space for Jamie Kotz who bolted to the line for another try making it 12-0.

Isaac Fines made his presence felt having his passes locked in and accurate, getting it to Giteau who slides through two defenders for another Eagles try, a man of all trades Giteau also hit his kick.

Eagles could not be stopped and the weapon of Hansen was the key for them, putting another try under his belt in the contest after a powerful burst from the fullback.

Gungahlin looked like a different team at the end of the first half, leading the Royals 26-0 going into the second hot and unphased.

The Eagles opened the second half where they left off, a scrum led to Giteau passing behind the back to James Dargaville who found the space and put it down with a defender draped over him.

A turnover from the Royals, the Eagles kicked it down the field and Haddad ran like he was being chased by a cheetah to beat everyone to the ball for another Gungahlin try.

With the kick good from Giteau the Eagles held a very comfortable 40-0 lead and didn’t look like they were going to slow down.

Matt Hawke fell to the ground but somehow threw a spiral pass right into the chest of Tamati Ioane who went to the open corner for the try, continuing the Eagles onslaught.

The Royals could not make anything happen, turning the ball over and just meeting the wall that was the Eagles defence.

A flash pass to Corey Toole gave him the step and the space to speed down the field to get a try for himself, making it a 50-0 game.

Toole on back to back plays got another try after a dish from Haddad who looked at the Royals defence as if it were non-existent.

Gungahlin ended with a huge statement, as a final try from Isaac Crowe saw the Eagles defeat the defending premiers 60-0.

Owls 12 def by 49 Vikings


The Tuggeranong Vikings have demolished the Uni-North Owls 49-12 to claim the Minor Premiership for the 2020 season.

Vikings coach Nicholas Scrivener has this to say when asked about winning the Minor Premiership “it’s a good reward for a lot of effort by everyone in a close comp”.

When asked about his sides performance Scrivener added “I just thought our set piece was good and our energy and we were nice and physical”.

The Vikings came out of the gate strong and it wouldn't take long for them to score the first points of the match, when in the 3rd minute Michael Oakman-Hunt would sneak his way over the line off the scrum to give the Vikings a 5-0 lead. This would be extended to 7-0 when Ryan Lonergan would kick the goal in his first match of the season.

The Vikings would continue their early domination of the match, when in the 8th minute Isaac Henry would break through the Owls defence to extend the lead to 12-0. Which became 14-0 when the try was converted.

It would only take ten minutes for the Vikings to extend their lead even further to 19-0, when Ngarima Low got over in the corner of the overlap play by the Vikings. The score would become 21-0, when Lonergan would convert the try.

The Owls would get one back in the 27th minute when Bradley Pumpa would barge his way over the line to score and close the gap to 21-5. Which would become 21-7 when Lucas Thompson would convert the try.

But that didn't help the Owls too much as the Vikings would extend their lead back to 21 when Isaac Henry would get his second of the match after being on the receiving end of a Maika Ravouvou pass after the latter would make a massive run down the sideline. Ryan Lonergan would make the score line 28-7 when he converted the try.

The Vikings would continue the momentum created in the first half, when in the 44th minute Michael Oakman-Hunt would push his way over the line to get his second of the match, making it 33-7. It would be extended to 35-7 when Lachlan Lonergan would take over kicking duties and convert the try.

The Vikings would extend their lead to 40-7 when in the 56th minute Seamus Smith would get over the line of the pass by Michael Oakman-Hunt after he made a break down near the sideline. This lead would then become 42-7 when Ryan Lonergan converted the try.

The Vikings would not slow down, as they would extend their lead to 47-7, when in the 61st minute Andrew Robinson would force his way over the line to score. This would become 49-7 when Ryan Lonergan converted the try to continue his perfect conversion rate for the game.

The Owls would score a late consolation try, in the 80th minute when Jordan Thompson would score down near the corner post to bring the score to 49-12.

The Vikings would come home the winners in a dominant performance to claim the minor premiership.

Queanbeyan 7 def by Wests 45


The Western District Lions have ended their season with a dominant 38-point win over the Queanbeyan Whites. Despite the win, Wests will miss out on the John I Dent Cup Finals with other results not going their way.

It was a quick start from Wests, with their early pressure on the Queanbeyan try line resulting in a try in the opening five minutes. Number eight Matthew Logsdon dived over from close to open the scoring and Fullback Declan Meredith added the extras with a well hit conversion.

Wests would have another inside the first ten, Meredith the scorer on this occasion. With a lineout on halfway, Wests quickly moved the ball wide, and a linebreak from centre Komiti Tuilagi put Meredith in to score easily. The fullback converted his own try, taking the lead to 14 points.

Queanbeyan would then have a strong period of play, keeping Wests pinned inside their own half for over ten minutes. Disaster would soon strike as Meredith broke through the line, and after putting in a grubber kick, was shoulder charged by Will Holland. The referee went to his pocket straight away and put the Queanbeyan centre out of action for ten minutes.

It was off the back of the resulting scrum that Wests would score again, with Logsdon grabbing his second of the afternoon. Meredith continued his strong kicking, taking the lead to 21.

Despite being down a man, Queanbeyan would score next through Fred Kaihea. With a lineout deep in Wests half, Whites got the ball right to the tryline and Kaihea finished the job, diving over from close. Lewis Bozzato stepped up to add the extras, reducing the deficit to 14.

Wests would score their fourth of the half right before the break with Prop Tauati Chan Tung crossing over from close range. Meredith couldn’t convert on this occasion and Wests went into the break with a 19-point lead.

Wests continued their domination in the second half, with another three tries. Ten minutes in and they found themselves with a scrum close to the Queanbeyan tryline. Wests’ forward pack proved too strong for the Whites, barging their way over the line, for Brodie Leber to score. Meredith pulled his kick wide, with Wests now up by 24.

Not even five minutes later and they were in again. Wests forward pack was too strong once again as they mauled their way to the line off the back of a lineout, with substitute Samuel Pye-Edwards scoring. Meredith added the extras, taking the lead to 31 points.

It wouldn’t take long for Wests to score their seventh and final try of the afternoon, as Meredith slipped through the gaps thanks to an offload, grabbing his second of the afternoon. The young fullback stepped up to convert, giving Wests a 38-point lead.

That would prove to be the final score of the afternoon, as Wests closed out their 2020 season with a dominant 38-point win over the Queanbeyan Whites. Final score, 45-7.